EV Charging Etiquette
As the number of electric vehicles on the road continues to grow, so too does the need for public charging stations. If you own an electric vehicle, or are thinking of buying one, it’s important to be aware of the etiquette that exists around using these stations.
Here are our top tips for electric vehicle charging etiquette:
- Check for availability before you plug in. When you arrive at a public charging station, take a moment to check whether or not it’s available for use. If there’s already another EV plugged in, you’ll need to wait until that one is finished before you can start charging, no matter how desperate you are!
- Unplug when you’re finished. Once your EV is fully charged, be sure to unplug it so that another driver can use the station. This is especially important if there are other EVs waiting to charge.
- Be aware of time limits. Many public charging stations have time limits in place in order to ensure that everyone has a chance to charge their vehicle. If you’re using a station with time limits, be sure to adhere to them so that others can use the station when you’re finished.
- Use the right type of charger. There are different types of public charging stations, so it’s important to make sure that you’re using the right one for your EV. If you’re not sure, simply ask someone who works at the station or check the instructions before you plug in.
- Be considerate of other drivers. Charging your EV can take some time, so it’s important to be considerate of other drivers who may be waiting to use the station. If possible, try to move your vehicle once it’s finished charging so that others can have a turn.
Following these simple tips will help to ensure that you’re using public charging stations in a considerate and responsible way. Electric vehicles are an important part of the future of transportation, so it’s important that we all do our part to make sure that they’re used in the best way possible.